03 June 2010

The Travelling Continues...

It's very odd to be travelling in your own country. Travelling not just in transit and not on a vacation, but being a traveler. Staying in hostels, talking to other travelers (mostly all European) and seeing your country through their eyes. A French girl says America gives her a feeling of insecurity that she didn't feel even travelling alone in Columbia. I've never thought of the US this way. So now it's time for me to take my learned travel skills and turn the gaze inward to my own country - to observe the people and landscape as I would in a foreign country. My very first thought is IT'S EXPENSIVE HERE! How can people afford to travel for 4 months in the states? Cheap hostels are $25 a night ( as opposed to $8 in Thailand for a personal room) and I can't even begin to think about getting around without a car. My $1000 a month budget in Thailand will last me 10 days here. But this nuisance aside, I think it is important to know one's homeland. And that is what I am going to try to do for the next month or so - get to know my country! Finally!

Some pictures from St. Louis Missouri, Arkansas, North Texas (Redneck central!!) and Austin will be up shortly.

1 comment: